6/02/2008

George's Restaurant

Forty years ago, Arlo Guthrie wrote and performed "Alice's Restaurant," an eighteen-minute tale of his close encounters with a small town's justice system and the local draft board. In one of the song's most memorable bits, he tells how he tried to fool the draft board into thinking he was a bloodthirsty killer, only to have the plan backfire:
And I walked in and sat down and they gave me a piece of paper, said, "Kid, see the psychiatrist, room 604." And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumpin' up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sergeant came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

The same thing sort of happened back in 2004, right after four Blackwater mercenaries were killed and mutilated in Fallujah, when President Bush lost it. In his new book, Wiser in Battle, General Ricardo Sanchez recalls that Bush had a rather curious reaction to the news:
Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! We must be tougher than hell! This Vietnam stuff, this is not even close. It is a mind-set. We can't send that message. It's an excuse to prepare us for withdrawal... There is a series of moments and this is one of them. Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! Prevail! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!

One wonders whether the president was frothing at the mouth when he said this. It's like something out of a bad movie, when a villain recruited from central casting seems determined to chew as much scenery as possible, just to prove that he can.

Either that, or someone is auditioning for the role of Adolf Hitler in his bunker in Berlin, raging at his generals as the Third Reich is collapsing around his ears.

Does anyone know whether Bush switched to decaf after this?

No comments: